Sunday, September 22, 2019

Practice Makes Perfect

“Don’t worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:6-7

There are so many ways that a person can learn to calm their minds. In many ways they are all similar. Take your focus off of whatever is stressing you out and focus on clearing your mind or focus on something positive.

As someone who tries to practice the whole clearing your mind thing, it’s not easy. It gets easier. And I think this is a good practice. However, the second part is what is so crucial. We as Christians, get to take this to the next level. We get to lay all of those worries at the feet of our Lord. He gets to do the worrying.

Now I know this isn’t easy. You’re probably thinking, “sure, Erin, let me just jump right on it and stop worrying all the time. I’ll get right on that. No worrying. Yep. Not doing it!” All the while you are worrying your butt right off.

I didn’t say this was going to be easy. I didn’t even say that I was good at it. This is something that grows over time. Why do you think it is called a practice? Practice makes perfect. This is something that will not happen overnight. It takes a grateful heart and a clear mind to really move forward in life and in the love of God.

When we worry, we are putting those concerns before God. We are saying they are more important than God. We are telling God that those problems are bigger than He is. Obviously, that isn’t anyone’s intention, but it is what’s happening.

So how does one put this verse into practice. PRACTICE is how. Everyday you wake up and there are going to be things that you do. Things that are just second nature. You’ve been doing them forever. Brushing your teeth, making your bed, washing the dishes, or taking a shower. Things you just do. Prayer should be like that. It’s just something you do everyday. It’s something that comes naturally.

I like to have a little devotional time during the day. I include a quiet time where I practice keeping my mind clear of anything that is trying to choke out my good intentions for the day. This is personally when I do my best thinking. I often end up writing in my journal everything that comes into my head. (Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.) I use this as my prayer to God.

"God, this is what I’m worrying about today. I don’t know how I’m going to make it, but I know that You are keeping a very close eye on the situation. I know that You are protecting me though my dark hours. I leave my concerns in Your Almighty Hands and now am able to focus on all the good You have created around me and in me. Thank You for always watching over me and my concerns. Thank You for always bringing me through my struggles. I am here to be Your child, Your messenger, and Your light until I am home with You. Please give me the strength to always see what good You have for me and the love You have given to me. Thank You."

This life is hard and none of us make it out alive. The joy that God gives us comes from within. Will any of us be able to do this perfectly all the time? NO. But through the practice of true reliance on God and all that He does for us, we find joy and peace.

This week, I challenge you to hand one, just ONE concern to God. It can be tiny. Every time you find yourself worrying over it, take a moment and pray. I would encourage you to write it down somewhere. Then put it right out of your mind ASAP! We know that God is taking care of it. He doesn’t need us to micromanage the King of EVERYTHING! So after your prayer, focus on the next part of your day. Really focus on the good that God is working in you and around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment