Sunday, September 29, 2019

Mind Set


I was looking back at my Facebook memories today and I saw something pretty awesome. I had posted a verse that was really speaking to me at that time in my life. Nine years ago, I posted this:

“Do not conform to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” - Romans 12:2

Then today, my Bible app gave me this for my verse of the day:

“For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” - Romans 8:6

This world is not made for us. Being a Christian, you know that there is life beyond this earthly life. These verses are testaments to this. Because we are not meant for this world, we are not meant to conform to what the world says is best for us. We are to be molded and formed by God.

Setting our minds on the Spirit and Godly things gives life, but also peace.

I have struggled many times in my life with finding peace. The worst part is that my name is Erin. It comes from the Ancient Greek word meaning peace.

This time we are talking about inner peace. I am a huge worrier. I think most people are. I worry about how I’m going to pay to fix the car. I worry about hurting myself (constantly). I worry about the future. I worry about every mistake that I have ever made (especially at night when I’m trying to sleep). So knowing this about myself (another way I am prone to depression and anxiety), I have to know what to do to calm my mind.

When we focus on the Spirit and God, we learn more and more about how amazing our God is. We learn how much God has waiting for us beyond this life. We learn about His love for us. We learn how to love others better. We learn to let things go, because when we have asked for forgiveness, God has forgiven us. We learn that God’s forgiveness is so much bigger than any mistake we have ever made.

Now, this isn’t easy. For example, I am not a flexible person. If I want to be able to touch my toes or kick above my hear, I have to stretch every day, right? I can’t just wake up and do this without seriously injuring myself (which you know I’m terrified of doing). Take this the same way. Just because you read one verse today, doesn’t mean that you are effortlessly going to focus your mind, heart, and soul on God all the time.

This is going to take time. This is going to be a process. Practice everyday. You will fail. I know you have heard that from me already. Failure is good. You recognize the failure (very important) and ask for forgiveness. God forgives and you find peace.

I would challenge you today, read just one verse a day this week. Just one. Start challenging your mind so that you can find peace and true inner joy. Most Bible apps have daily devotionals with notifications to help keep you on track. Just read a verse a day. That’s how it starts. It will get easier. It will become habit. As Nike puts it “Just Do It!”

No comments:

Post a Comment